Whether you are the target of a criminal investigation or have already been charged with committing a crime, the key to protecting your future is hiring the right criminal defense attorney. You need an attorney who has the experience, resources, and commitment required to aggressively defend you throughout a criminal investigation or prosecution. You need Orlando criminal defense lawyer David Haas.
Why Experience Matters When Choosing a Criminal Defense Lawyer
As the target of a criminal investigation, your life and the lives of your family members, business associates, and friends, may be turned upside down. Your vehicle, office, and even home may be subjected to search and seizure. Law enforcement officers may attempt to interrogate you and people who are close to you. Your assets may even be frozen, or your professional reputation ruined.
If you are formally charged with a crime, the trauma of your arrest will undoubtedly impact your family and loved ones. Those same people will need to gather cash or assets to secure your release from jail. You and your family may spend months, even years, worrying about the outcome of your case.
So many things are suddenly outside of your control when you become a suspect or defendant in a criminal case. One thing that remains in your control, however, is whom you choose to protect and defend you. Retaining the services of an experienced Orlando criminal defense lawyer is the only way to protect you and your interests throughout a criminal investigation and/or prosecution. A highly experienced attorney offers several critical advantages over a less experienced counterpart, including:
- Cumulative knowledge. Every lawyer learns the basics in law school; however, not only is there more to the law than the basics, but criminal law is ever-changing. The longer an attorney has been practicing criminal law, the more cumulative knowledge he has.
- Procedural practice. Understanding the rules of criminal procedure can be as important as knowing the law. For example, an experienced criminal lawyer knows when and how to try and suppress evidence, meaning the evidence cannot be used at trial if the attorney’s efforts are successful.
- Established reputation. A lawyer with an established reputation often moves a case along rapidly and advantageously for a suspect or defendant because law enforcement officers and prosecutors know the attorney will aggressively defend his/her client.
- Negotiating power. Most criminal cases are resolved through negotiation without the need for a trial. An experienced attorney may be able to prevent charges from being filed, negotiate the dismissal of charges that have been filed, or work out a favorable guilty plea agreement.
How Can Hiring a Former Prosecutor Help Me?
Attorney David Haas began his legal career over two decades ago as a state prosecutor with the State Attorney’s Office in the Tenth Judicial Circuit, where he quickly moved up to Chief of the Economic/Environmental Crimes Division. After five years at the State Attorney’s Office, attorney Haas joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Middle District of Florida, where he served as a federal prosecutor for almost ten years. As a suspect or defendant in a criminal matter, you may be wondering why you would hire a former prosecutor to represent you. The benefits of having a former state and federal prosecutor on your side are numerous, such as:
- Knowledge of law enforcement agency practices and protocols.
- Insider understanding of how prosecutors make charging decisions.
- Established relationships with prosecutors.
- Ability to know when a prosecutor has discretion and when he/she does not.
- First-hand knowledge of the tactics and strategies prosecutors use.
- Negotiating power gleaned from once being on the other side of the negotiations.
- Able to predict what arguments a prosecutor will use at sentencing.
Not only does attorney Haas offer clients the benefit of his experience as a prosecuting attorney, but clients get that benefit in both state and federal court. This can be incredibly important given that criminal investigations/prosecutions are often initiated by the state but ultimately “bumped up” to federal court. Having a lawyer on your side who has considerable experience in both arenas means you do not need to worry about finding a new attorney if your case is moved to federal court.
Get Help from an Experienced Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you have reason to believe you are the target of a criminal investigation or you have already been arrested and charged by state or federal authorities, you need an experienced Orlando criminal defense lawyer by your side immediately to ensure that your rights are protected and to defend you against the accusations. At Haas Law, our criminal defense lawyers are committed to protecting you, your family, your business, and your future if you are involved in a state or federal criminal prosecution.
Call us at 407-755-7675, chat with us online, or submit our online form today. Because we understand that time is of the essence when law enforcement authorities are investigating you, our calls are answered 24 hours a day, allowing you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to discuss your legal options.