David Haas, a federal and state defense attorney founded Haas Law, PLLC where he represents clients in federal courts around the country and Florida. He is a former state and federal prosecutor who has extensive jury trial experience, including handling more than 65 jury trials.
A fifth-generation Floridian, he graduated from Stetson University College of Law in 2001 and began his career as a state prosecutor with the State Attorney’s Office in the Tenth Judicial Circuit. After three years of handling felony and misdemeanor offenses, attorney David Haas was promoted to Chief of the Economic/Environmental Crimes Division where he was responsible for the investigation, intake, and prosecution of complex financial crimes including racketeering and public corruption cases.
In February 2006, David Haas joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Middle District of Florida. He served as a federal prosecutor for nearly 10 years where he was honored for his litigation and investigative skills. During his tenure as an Assistant United States Attorney, he handled complex white-collar matters including bank fraud, mortgage fraud, money laundering, tax fraud, FOREX trading, healthcare fraud, and Ponzi/investment schemes.
In addition to handling white-collar matters, David Haas was an Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) prosecutor that handled large-scale drug distribution/manufacturing organizations, wiretap investigations, violent crimes, human trafficking, firearm offenses, gang cases, and asset forfeiture matters. David Haas also gained significant experience in handling cybercrime and cryptocurrency (Bitcoin) prosecutions, including the prosecution of individuals who trafficked in controlled substances on the internet and on TOR (The Onion Router) accessed markets.
While a federal prosecutor, David Haas received awards and commendations for his work with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and the U.S. Department of Education Office of Inspector General. He also worked closely with agents from the Federal Reserve Board Office of Inspector General, the United States Secret Service, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
A skilled litigator, David Haas is also an Adjunct Professor at Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law where he teaches Trial Advocacy.
As a state and federal defense attorney David Haas brings more than 14 years of prosecution experience to helping his clients defend against criminal allegations. He also understands the Federal Sentencing Guidelines and the mitigating factors that are critical in determining a defendant’s sentence. He also understands the damage that can be done to a person or a company resulting from an indictment, even if the client is subsequently acquitted.
Attorney David Haas has represented clients in state and federal court who have been charged with Medicaid fraud, mortgage fraud, timeshare fraud, drug trafficking, and violent crimes.
He also is an attorney for whistleblowers seeking reward for information of significant criminal wrongdoing under the False Claims Act.
A frequent legal analyst for Orlando’s Channel 13, high profile cases handled by David Haas have been featured on CNN, Forbes, USA Today, Newsweek, Business Insider, Baltimore Sun, The Orlando Sentinel, the Fort Myers News Press, The Ledger, Reuters, WFTV, Law360, Orlando Weekly, WPXI, the St. Pete Times, News4Jax, First Coast News, Naples Daily News, NPR, Daytona Beach News Journal, Pensacola News Journal, and DeepDotWeb.
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court of Nevada (pro hac vice)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama (pro hac vice)
- U.S. District Court of Vermont (pro hac vice)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (pro hac vice)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama (pro hac vice)
*Mr. Haas can be admitted to practice before ANY Federal District Court. This allows Mr. Haas to handle federal cases anywhere in the United States.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Florida Bar
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- International Bar Association, Member Criminal Law and War Crimes Committees
- International Technology Law Association, Member Cyber-Crime Committee, Member Social Media & Online Gaming Committee
- George C. Young American Inn of Court
Stetson University College of Law, St. Petersburg, Florida
Juris Doctor, 2001
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Bachelor of Arts, Economics, 1998
Criminal Defense, False Claims Act (Whistleblower / qui tam) Litigation
Past Work Experience:
- NeJame Law, P.A. – Partner, Criminal Division and Whistleblower Section 2015 – 2018
- Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Office, Orlando, Florida – Assistant United States Attorney 2009 – 2015
- Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Office, Fort Myers, Florida – Assistant United States Attorney 2006 – 2009
- State Attorney’s Office, Tenth Judicial Circuit, 2001 – 2006
- United States Attorney’s Office, Tampa Division, Law Clerk, 1999
Email address: [email protected]