Heroin has a long and complex history in the United States. It is one of the few drugs that has been around for over a century and although it has gone in and out of fashion, heroin has always been on the radar of federal law enforcement agencies. If you believe you are the target of a heroin distribution investigation, or you have been charged with distributing heroin, you need an experienced heroin distribution defense attorney on your side. At Haas Law, we have the resources, dedication, and expertise necessary to protect your rights and develop a winning defense if you are facing heroin distribution charges.
Penalties for a Federal Heroin Distribution Conviction
Although the possession and distribution of heroin are also criminal offenses in every state, federal law enforcement agencies also target large-scale heroin distribution networks. Typically, federal law enforcement agencies are involved you can assume they have been watching, listening, and investigating for months prior to making any actual arrests. As a Schedule I controlled substance, heroin is considered to be among the most dangerous of the illicit drugs. If you are convicted for distributing heroin you face the following potential penalties:
- 100-999 grams of Heroin — for a first offense you face a minimum of five years and a maximum of 40 years in prison and/or a fine of $2 million to $5 million. If death or serious injury results from the distribution/sale you could be sentenced to 20 years to life in prison. For a second offense, your potential sentencing range is 10 years to life and/or a fine of $4 million to $10 million. If death or serious injury occurs, your sentence will be not less than 20 or more than life.
- 1 kilogram or more of Heroin — your potential punishment is 10 years to life and/or a fine of $4 million to $10 million. If death or serious injury occurs, your sentence will be not less than 20 or more than life. For a second offense, you face 20 years to life in prison and/or a fine of $8 million to $10 million. Two or more prior convictions will result in life imprisonment.
Common Defenses to Accusations of Heroin Distribution
One of the many reasons to have an experienced attorney on your side as early as possible is to ensure that all potential defense strategies are available to you. Another reason is to ensure that your rights are protected. The defense strategy chosen for your case will be based on the facts and circumstances of your case. Common heroin distribution defense strategies, however, include:
- Challenging the reliability of informants.
- Moving to exclude evidence obtained from an illegal search and seizure.
- Relying on the State’s failure to prove guilt.
Get Help from Experienced Heroin Distribution Defense Attorney
If you have reason to believe that you are under investigation for, or have already been charged with, heroin distribution by the federal government it is imperative that you consult with an experienced heroin distribution defense attorney right away.
Consulting with a heroin distribution defense attorney at Haas Law early on allows us to protect your rights as well as your future. It also maximizes the time we have to prepare an aggressive defense on your behalf.
Call us at 407-755-7675, chat with us online, or submit our online form today. Because we understand that time is of the essence when federal law enforcement authorities are investigating you, our calls are answered 24 hours a day, allowing you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to discuss your legal options.